Greetings and Salutations,
My apologies for not doing a synopsis this past week, it was kindly and efficiently done by the Professor of the Blog. My personal excuse was that I was working all day long, and hadn’t planned ahead like I normally do... but we both just know it was most likely just laziness.
Today I will be mixing things up a bit, because of the magnitude of the Con I have already said I have to give you some background before I can finish the rest, and that will be covered in the second half of this post, as well as a start on talking about the divisions of Nerddom. But in the first half I am going to talk some more about why people persecute us specifically.
Well, I have already talked a lot about the different social groups and one of the base reasons for inter-group persecution (if you missed it click this link: link ) but why do they specifically pick us to do their worst? Well, first let’s think back again to high school. Who was the most likely to get good grades in class? Well, as a nerd, hopefully you were, unless you were really really lazy. Next, good grades means you are doing the best in that area of school, which could be argued is the most important and integral part of actually going to school. So, let’s say you are doing the best on the most important function of school, so who is the most important person in the school? That would be you. Now from their view this means that you are threatening their superiority within the school, and that’s not cool to them, not cool at all. So, they throw you against the wall, close you in lockers, trip you while you walk, etc. because this means that they have the upper hand, i.e. that they are the most important. For girls they can either do the same or spread it around that you are ugly, stupid, unwanted or loved, etc. And this isn’t fun at all, I can assure you.
So that’s high school, college gets a little more relaxed except for the frat boys, but we won’t talk about those today, which leads us into work life. being really intelligent and quick to learn is a surefire way to become management or other high paying jobs. While this is good for you, remember that being in a better position over others is not enjoyed by other more ambitious people. Granted, work life is much better than the angsty suffering of high school and is somewhat more laid back than in college, but people can still ignore you, or “forget” to bring you coffee, or otherwise be jerks. But otherwise, being at work can be great especially if you are in a place where you are surrounded by nerds. Sometimes even then, though, life can be hard.
Now we get into the divisions of Nerddom. I’ve referenced this in a post a long time ago on nerd bombs (again, if you missed it click this link: link ) but only very briefly. I’ve talked about how Nerds have general knowledge of most things, and Geeks have specific knowledge, but many times nerds will specialise as well, as in a computer nerd or a band nerd. yes there is such a thing as a band geek, and a computer geek, but those are different. Being a specific nerd means that you have general knowledge of everything and specific knowledge in one or more things. So basically I know music and computers and video games, and technology and webcomics and Cons etc., but I also know binary and hexadecimal code by heart, can translate music into it’s base mathematical components, etc. that doesn’t mean that I can quote every episode of Star Trek: The Original Series from memory, even though I’ve watched them all, it just means that I am both a nerd, and a geek.
So we have all of these divisions, how is that a problem? well, I’ll mostly be getting into this on the 29th, but each of these divisions tends to be, well, divisive. And because of the divisions we don’t work as well, we can actually have separate cliques inside of Nerddom, which is truly sad. One of the main reasons, probably the most important reasons, why we are persecuted, is that we are the ones most likely to work well together. Our innermost desire is not to be the best, or to finish first etc. It’s to come together and do things for the greater good, for science, for Aiur, for the fun of it. And yes I am going into one of those “united we stand, divided we fall” types of speeches. If we look at the jocks and the cheerleaders for reference, yes, as a whole they want to become the most important, but they also on the individual level want to become most important, and that sets them up already for disaster. Entropy talked about how she misses constantly being with her nerd friends from high school, but she still hangs out with them all the time, talks with them on Skype, plays games with them. The likelihood of a jock desiring at all, period, to come back and wanting to do stuff with their other jock friends is one in a million. And yet we do all the time.
So basically remember, these are your friends, your brothers, and without this brotherhood we will fall, so yes there are differences, I like math a ton, and maybe you don’t, but don’t push people away. That is all.
As always, comment if you want to argue, like if you like, don’t if you don’t. Our posts don’t get better on their own, so make sure to give us ideas if you want, you can email them to me or put them in the comments and we’ll make sure to either completely ignore you as a rule, or to address whatever you have to say and appreciate your help..... maybe.
Word of the week:
hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.
Translation:
A fear of long words.
Live long and Prosper,
My apologies for not doing a synopsis this past week, it was kindly and efficiently done by the Professor of the Blog. My personal excuse was that I was working all day long, and hadn’t planned ahead like I normally do... but we both just know it was most likely just laziness.
Today I will be mixing things up a bit, because of the magnitude of the Con I have already said I have to give you some background before I can finish the rest, and that will be covered in the second half of this post, as well as a start on talking about the divisions of Nerddom. But in the first half I am going to talk some more about why people persecute us specifically.
Well, I have already talked a lot about the different social groups and one of the base reasons for inter-group persecution (if you missed it click this link: link ) but why do they specifically pick us to do their worst? Well, first let’s think back again to high school. Who was the most likely to get good grades in class? Well, as a nerd, hopefully you were, unless you were really really lazy. Next, good grades means you are doing the best in that area of school, which could be argued is the most important and integral part of actually going to school. So, let’s say you are doing the best on the most important function of school, so who is the most important person in the school? That would be you. Now from their view this means that you are threatening their superiority within the school, and that’s not cool to them, not cool at all. So, they throw you against the wall, close you in lockers, trip you while you walk, etc. because this means that they have the upper hand, i.e. that they are the most important. For girls they can either do the same or spread it around that you are ugly, stupid, unwanted or loved, etc. And this isn’t fun at all, I can assure you.
So that’s high school, college gets a little more relaxed except for the frat boys, but we won’t talk about those today, which leads us into work life. being really intelligent and quick to learn is a surefire way to become management or other high paying jobs. While this is good for you, remember that being in a better position over others is not enjoyed by other more ambitious people. Granted, work life is much better than the angsty suffering of high school and is somewhat more laid back than in college, but people can still ignore you, or “forget” to bring you coffee, or otherwise be jerks. But otherwise, being at work can be great especially if you are in a place where you are surrounded by nerds. Sometimes even then, though, life can be hard.
Now we get into the divisions of Nerddom. I’ve referenced this in a post a long time ago on nerd bombs (again, if you missed it click this link: link ) but only very briefly. I’ve talked about how Nerds have general knowledge of most things, and Geeks have specific knowledge, but many times nerds will specialise as well, as in a computer nerd or a band nerd. yes there is such a thing as a band geek, and a computer geek, but those are different. Being a specific nerd means that you have general knowledge of everything and specific knowledge in one or more things. So basically I know music and computers and video games, and technology and webcomics and Cons etc., but I also know binary and hexadecimal code by heart, can translate music into it’s base mathematical components, etc. that doesn’t mean that I can quote every episode of Star Trek: The Original Series from memory, even though I’ve watched them all, it just means that I am both a nerd, and a geek.
So we have all of these divisions, how is that a problem? well, I’ll mostly be getting into this on the 29th, but each of these divisions tends to be, well, divisive. And because of the divisions we don’t work as well, we can actually have separate cliques inside of Nerddom, which is truly sad. One of the main reasons, probably the most important reasons, why we are persecuted, is that we are the ones most likely to work well together. Our innermost desire is not to be the best, or to finish first etc. It’s to come together and do things for the greater good, for science, for Aiur, for the fun of it. And yes I am going into one of those “united we stand, divided we fall” types of speeches. If we look at the jocks and the cheerleaders for reference, yes, as a whole they want to become the most important, but they also on the individual level want to become most important, and that sets them up already for disaster. Entropy talked about how she misses constantly being with her nerd friends from high school, but she still hangs out with them all the time, talks with them on Skype, plays games with them. The likelihood of a jock desiring at all, period, to come back and wanting to do stuff with their other jock friends is one in a million. And yet we do all the time.
So basically remember, these are your friends, your brothers, and without this brotherhood we will fall, so yes there are differences, I like math a ton, and maybe you don’t, but don’t push people away. That is all.
As always, comment if you want to argue, like if you like, don’t if you don’t. Our posts don’t get better on their own, so make sure to give us ideas if you want, you can email them to me or put them in the comments and we’ll make sure to either completely ignore you as a rule, or to address whatever you have to say and appreciate your help..... maybe.
Word of the week:
hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.
Translation:
A fear of long words.
Live long and Prosper,
The King of the Blog
No comments:
Post a Comment